Acorn Squash Stuffed with Swiss Chard, Goat Cheese & Orzo Salad
Looking for an out-of-the-box pasta dish? Our Acron Squash Stuffed with Swiss Chard, Goat Cheese and Orzo Salad recipe will deliver! Packed with nutrients this dish will not only look good being served but it’s sure to please.
- 4 acorn squash (about 1 ½ lbs. each)
- 6 oz. orzo
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups/8 oz. thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tsp. thyme leaves
- 1 lb. Swiss chard (preferably red, sliced into 1” strips, washed)
- ¼ cup/2 oz. crumbled goat cheese (held cold)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Cut the acorn squash in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds (roast them for a healthy snack!). Sprinkle the squash with salt. Place them cut side down on a baking tray and roast until soft, about 35 minutes depending on the size of the squash.
- While the squash is cooking, make the orzo salad. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Cook the orzo according to package directions. Drain and reserve.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add the olive oil, thyme and onion. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover pan and sweat the onions until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the Swiss chard. If it’s still wet from washing, that should be enough liquid to cook the chard; if it’s dry, add 3 Tbsp. of water to the pan. Cover and cook the Swiss chard until the leaves are wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove the lid, stir everything together and continue to cook the stems and cook off excess water, another 2 minutes. Stir in the orzo. Taste and adjust seasoning. Fold in the goat cheese. Divide mixture between the squash halves.
An exclusive SharethePasta.org recipe.