Spaghetti “aglio-olio” with Artichokes and Spinach
Fettuccine, a type of pasta popular in Roman and Tuscancuisines, is widely available in whole wheat varieties. We’ve taken this flat,thick pasta and added roasted red peppers, artichokes, and nutty pecorino.Simply delicious! Serve with a spring greens salad, crusty bread, and yourfavorite ale.
- 2 Simply Roasted Peppers page 259; use red bell peppers, cut into thin 2-inch-long (5 cm) strips
- 1 cup 90 g sliced almonds, toasted
- ¼ cup 60 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 8 ounces 227 g whole wheat fettuccine
- One 9-ounce 255 g jar water-packed artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- ½ cup 40 g freshly grated pecorino
- ¼ cup 15 g chopped fresh parsley
1. Blend ½ cup (130 g) of the pepper strips with the almonds, oil, basil, garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, and cayenne in a food processor until smooth.
2. Cook the pasta until al dente, according to package directions. Drain, reserving ½ cup (120 ml) of the pasta water. Transfer the pasta to a large serving bowl. Add the pasta water, pepper mixture, artichokes, and the remaining red pepper strips. Toss to combine. Top with pecorino and sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot.
Per Serving: Calories 519; Protein 17 g; Carbs 49 g; Dietary Fiber 11 g; Added Sugars 0 g; Total Fat 30 g; Sat Fat 5 g; Omega-3s 140 mg; Sodium 221 mg; Potassium 512 mg