Acorn Squash & Pasta Soup
A quick, inexpensive, and delicious acorn squash & pasta soup recipe that is under 400 calories per serving. This soup is perfect for cold weather!
- 2 medium acorn squash (about 1 1/2 pounds each, split, peeled, seeded and quartered)
- 2 tbsp. margarine (or butter)
- 1 large onion (peeled and chopped)
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp. ground mace (or nutmeg)
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 oz. Small Shells (or your favorite small pasta shape, uncooked)
- 2/3 cup non-fat sour cream
- Cook squash in one inch of water in covered saucepan for 15 minutes, or until tender. Remove squash and allow to cool. Place squash back in pot. Add margarine, onion, carrots, sugar, mace, ginger and cinnamon. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add 3 cups of the broth to pot and puree all in a blender or food processor (or using a handheld blender). Return to the pot and add remaining three cups of broth. Bring to a boil and add pasta. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, or until pasta is done. Put dollop of sour cream on top of each bowl of soup. Serve hot.
- If soup is too thick, thin with additional chicken broth.
An exclusive SharethePasta.org recipe.