Classic minestrone is a tasty crowd-pleaser, but this smokey minestrone recipe kicks up the flavor by adding a chipotle puree to give the soup an unexpected and delicious hint of spice. And with leeks, carrots, celery, zucchini, and greens all added to the mix, it’s a great way to get more vegetables into your diet. We call that a win-win!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup/4oz. finely chopped leek well rinsed
- ½ cup/2 oz. finely chopped carrot
- ½ cup/2 oz. finely chopped celery
- 1 28 oz. can tomatoes
- 4 cups/32 oz. no sodium added vegetable stock or chicken or beef
- 2 Tbsp./1 oz. chipotle puree
- 3 oz. mini egg bows or other small pasta
- 8 cups/8 oz. escarole/kale/Swiss chard/spinach roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups/6 oz. zucchini large dice
- 1 14oz. can cannellini beans, drained
- 2 Tbsp./1 oz. pesto sauce
Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the oil and sauté the leek, carrot and celery until softened (about 3 minutes).
Add the tomatoes, stock, chipotle and pasta. Break up the tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer until the pasta is done (about 10 minutes). Stir in the greens of choice, zucchini, cannellini beans and pesto. Cook until the greens are wilted and the zucchini is softened (about 5 minutes).
Taste once more and adjust seasoning to taste. Divide between 6 bowls.
An exclusive Pasta Fits recipe.